James is an accomplished strategist, urban thinker and advocate for sustainable cities. His background in design combined with his ability to develop strategies for change, and to prioritise those quickly, enables them to come to life with pace and passion.
Working internationally with both Government and the private sector for over 20 years, James has advised on the creation of new towns and communities, global innovation hubs, strategic infrastructure, major events, tourism precincts and significant higher education campuses. All of his projects are met with a unique perspective and combination of a creative mind coupled with data driven decision making.
He is qualified in urban design, built environments and landscape architecture – disciplines he draws on while coordinating projects, master planning and structure planning, as well as advising on design codes, public realm strategies and public space implementation. Since joining Urbis in 2005, he has worked on significant national and international integrated developments and master planning projects in Australia and Europe – from planning for new communities and townships to designing town centres and public spaces.
James focuses on imaginative solutions for sites that kindle community passions. He has made outstanding contributions in leading the Brisbane City Centre Master Plan 2014 and master planning for the city’s Queen’s Wharf redevelopment. He also contributes to improving our cities in his role as Adjunct Professor of Design at Queensland University of Technology.
Key projects include:
- Queens Wharf Brisbane: Lead Designer and Strategic Advisor
- Waterfront Brisbane: Strategic Advisor
- South Bank Brisbane: Strategic Master Plan Advisor
- Orchard Road Singapore: Business and public realm transformation strategy
- Brisbane City Council: Global innovation precinct strategy
- University of Queensland: Strategic Master Plan, Property and Infrastructure Advisor
- Herston and Kelvin Grove Innovation precinct positioning and strategic advice
- Aura Township: Strategic Design Advisor
- Brisbane City Centre Master Plan
- Queensland Cultural Precinct Master Plan
- Queensland University of Technology Master Plan
- Brisbane River’s edge and activation strategy
- Paddington Basin, London
- Oxford City Centre regeneration strategy