The Ballarat GovHub is a new civic building located in the centre of Ballarat aimed to assist in reinvigorating the town centre. It will house 1,000 government employees, including 600 new positions and a consolidation of 400 positions already placed in Ballarat. The Urbis planning team worked in partnership with Development Victoria’s project team to achieve an exemplary outcome for this benchmark project.
Urbis undertook a planning approval risk assessment to identify the options for approval and recommending a preferred approach. Our planners lead the town planning approval process by implementing a streamlined strategy aimed at achieving timely approval for this state significant project. Urbis prepared and managed a planning scheme amendment process for an Incorporated Document with assistance from the Minister for Planning regarding the development and subdivision.
Features of the project include:
- Activation of underutilised CBD land
- 5-storey mixed use building, including a glass conservatory
- 5-star green star based building and fit out
- Integrated landscape with GovHub, Civic Hall and Library
- New civic plaza with strong pedestrian movement network to CBD and Train Station
- Construction due to be completed in 2020
The $100 million project is the culmination of significant collaboration between Ballarat City Council, the Department of Premier and Cabinet and Regional Development Victoria (RDV), with the project receiving $47.8 million in the 2017-2018 State Budget.