If you’re looking to kick start your career in a multidisciplinary professional services firm, look no further.
We are offering exclusive opportunities for the best and brightest students to gain great experience and broad exposure to our business and related industries, across our Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney offices.
We’re looking for final year students (undergraduate or post-graduate) who are hardworking, passionate and a good cultural fit for Urbis.
Opportunities for you
Urbis has helped me gain invaluable industry experience and provided me with great flexibility to continue my studies alongside. Working in a collaborative and inclusive team, Urbis has always been happy to provide me with support and guidance both in my role and assignments.
Our annual program will run from February to December 2018, which means you’ll be graduating with the distinct advantage of industry experience over your peers.
We also offer a 12-month placement for planning students in Sydney. More information to follow.
All these positions will offer flexibility (2-4 days a week) in order to complement your studies.
We have student vacancies in the following areas:
- Urban & Social Planning
- Urban Design & Landscape Architecture
- Property Economics & Market Research
- Valuations & Real Estate Advisory
- Economic Advisory
- Public Policy
- Geographic Information Systems
Click below for more details.
- Urban Planning – Shaping tomorrow’s cities and communities begins with planning. Our Planning team works on projects of all sizes, with a well-deserved reputation as experts in strategic planning and master planning for cities, communities, business parks, mixed-use developments and activity centres.
- Urban Design & Landscape Architecture – Good design turns spaces into places, and a good placement turns a student into a strong candidate for employment. Work alongside and learn from some of Australia’s finest urban designers and landscape architects.
- Property Economics & Market Research– Clients turn to Urbis for robust and insightful economic advice and research which helps inform solutions to complex policy, property and social challenges.
- Valuations & Real Estate Advisory – Working with this specialist team you’ll be learning how we help our clients make the right property decisions at the right time.
- Public Policy & Social Planning – Our team is a market leader in policy advice and evaluation, guiding clients on a variety of social issues to inform future decision-making.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) – A modern take on the old adage that a picture is worth a thousand words, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) can create maps and make visual representations of complex data to facilitate insight. GIS helps clients make sense of their data and the spatial relationships within it.
- Heritage – Our expertise in heritage conservation helps our clients to shape lively new places that respect our history and conserve heritage values for future generations.
Benefits of the Urbis experience
Students are an integral part of the Urbis team. From my first day I felt included in significant projects and was encouraged to interact with all business units. This quickly expanded my planning skills and allowed me to build relationships with senior team members.
Valuable client exposure and experience
On an Urbis student placement you’ll get the chance to work with our clients, learn from mentors – some of the best in the industry – and gain experiences similar to that of a first-year graduate.
Enhanced employment prospects
The relationships you make, and the impression you leave, could provide the opportunity to help you secure a permanent position after you graduate. You’ll definitely be graduating with the distinct advantage of experience over your peers.
Urbis is like a family. The culture and people make it one of the most welcoming and supportive environments that anyone could come into.
Ongoing learning & development
During your time here you’ll have access to our learning & development resources, including facilitated training.
Social life, health and wellbeing
Life at Urbis isn’t all work and no play – we like to let our hair down and have fun too! Regular social activities and health and wellbeing programs will be made available to you.
Brisbane: In Brisbane we are based in the midst of the CBD, conveniently located close to the Brisbane River and Botanic gardens
Melbourne: Enjoy working in our modern Melbourne office, located in the heart of the CBD at the exclusive ‘Paris end’ of Collins Street
Sydney: Our Sydney office in Darling Park overlooks the stunning Darling Harbour with 360 degree views of the CBD and surrounding areas
Hear from our students, past and present
Nisha Rawal, Associate Director
“I began my Urbis journey in the Brisbane office as an Assistant Valuer in the Real Estate Advisory team over eight years ago.
After I completed my two year registration process I progressed to a Valuer within this team working on a diverse range of projects including shopping centre portfolios, commercial office, resumption and compensation assessments and development feasibilities.
After three years in Brisbane I transferred to the Urbis Sydney office with a focus on retail valuations. Some two years into my time in Sydney I was given the opportunity to move into the Property Economics & Research team as a Senior Consultant to round out my retail expertise and I have since been promoted to Associate Director in the Melbourne Property Economics & Research team.
Urbis has provided me with such wonderful opportunities to work on a large range of projects across the country, with a number of major clients, and develop a diverse skill set in a unique and social environment.”
Andrew Kinnaird, Director
“Urbis has been providing me with the opportunity to create and grow my career since joining as a student in 2001.
I enjoy advising the breadth of Urbis clients and working on significant projects that enable me to extend my experience far beyond many of my peers with the qualification of a Certified Practising Valuer.
The collaborative culture of the various disciplines has given me a more rounded learning experience and the ability to develop networks within the industry. In my current role as a leader, it is exciting to be able to offer the next generation of experts the opportunity to work in a diverse and flexible environment.”
Julia Dickson, Associate Director
“Starting my career at Urbis, whilst studying at university, was a great first step.
Urbis is heavily invested in training and developing its people to ensure growth, in a professional and personal capacity.
My directors have assisted me in identifying and utilising my strengths, in order to progress through my career, and have offered support to develop areas of expertise that I am interested in.”
Sam Williams, Senior Consultant
“It is difficult to quantify the influence of working in the vicinity of field leaders, of being exposed to projects of complexity and scale that stretch prior learning and extend the imagination, and of being part of an environment that supports mentorship and development.
Suffice to say, the student pathway at Urbis, is an extraordinary professional opportunity that surrounds you with inspiring people in a highly successful working environment. Upon reflection, the mentoring I received as a student from a partner in the business vastly accelerated my career.
I was provided opportunities to work on a range of unique projects in a number of different sectors of planning, and had exposure to range of industry leading clients and professionals. It was through this network, and the support of Urbis, that I was able to pursue a secondment within a government organisation to experience firsthand the role of a decision maker within a political environment – an experience that I found invaluable.
Now working at Urbis at a Senior Consultant, I attribute many of my professional strengths to the opportunities I received, and the relationships I was able to develop working at Urbis. Needless to say, I would encourage you to apply!”
The application process
We will be accepting applications for our Student Internship Program from 14 August 2018.
If you’re interested in being part of our next program, check back in at this page from 14 August!
As part of your application, we will ask you which team you’d prefer to join, and request your CV, cover letter and your academic transcripts.
If you’d like to start preparing now, you can develop your cover letter addressing the following questions:
- “Why do you want to work for Urbis?” (no more than 200 words)
- “What motivated you to pursue a career in your selected discipline? What aspects are you passionate about?” (no more than 300 words)
Once we have reviewed applications, shortlisted candidates will be invited for an information evening at one of our offices. This will be a chance for you to get to know us a little more, take a look at our work environment and hear from our current staff and students. Information evenings and interviews will be held in early October in the respective offices.
Following the information evening, selected candidates will be invited to 1:1 interviews. Successful candidates will receive offers by mid-November with a view to starting in February 2018.
Please note: You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for the student program.
If you have any questions about the program or how to apply, please get in touch with one of our HR team: