Karima (Karmi) Palafox is an internationally esteemed strategic planner. With over a decade of advisory experience, Karmi’s expertise encompasses planning, urban design and policy.
Karmi has led development plans for communities, new and historic cities, infrastructure and public spaces. She has overseen multiple high-profile projects across a range of sectors, from mixed-use, residential and tourism, to post-crisis and post-disaster rehabilitation.
Prior to joining Urbis, Karmi served as Managing Partner of a top ranked planning and architecture firm in Asia, Palafox Associates. During her tenure, she led and mentored more than 100 professionals and steered the company’s strategic growth.
Karmi is an expert and sought-after speaker on housing, real estate, transport and mobility, and the environment. She has published articles and given lectures on environmental planning.
She is advisor to the Philippine Senate’s Committee Chairman on Housing and Land Use. Karmi has served in the ULI Advisory Board in the Philippines and in advisory panels in China and the US. Karmi was recognised as one of the top young land use professionals in the world with her award as an Urban Land 40 Under 40.
Karmi’s career achievements include:
- Comprehensive Land Use Plan and Zoning of 12 Cities and Rural Towns across the Philippines.
- Redevelopment Masterplan of 4,400-hectare Clark Economic Zone.
- Integrated Master Plans for the Islands of Siargao, Boracay, and Panglao.
- Installation Masterplan of American Battle Monuments, Solomon Islands and the Philippines.
- Comprehensive Land Use, Development and Investment Plan for Zamboanga City.
- Master Plan of Naval Bases in Palawan and Zambales, Philippines.
- Masterplan of Key Sites in the Province of Ilocos Norte.